nobel prize winning women

Sabine Dippel sabine at hlrz28.zam.kfa-juelich.de
Thu Sep 25 09:19:00 EST 1997

In article <60dre4$daf$1 at netnews.upenn.edu>,
khlin at student.physics.upenn.edu (Keng-hui Lin) writes:
|> Margaret Alic (malic at ADMIN.OGI.EDU) wrote:
|> : Alice:
|>
|> : You are thinking of Jocelyn Bell who made her discoveries as a graduate
|> : student and her advisor won the Nobel Prize.  She dropped out of science.
|>
|> : Margaret
|>
|> Because of this or what? Anyone knows?
|>
|> --
|> Keng-hui Lin
|> Dept.  of Physics and Astronomy,
|> University of Pennsylvania
|> 209 S., 33rd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
|> Office: (215)898-7978[LAB], 898-5148
|> Home:(215)988-0107

I think (but am not sure, I really should go and look the story up)
because of the two-body problem. I think she had trouble finding a job
close to where her fiance and later husband found a job. I think (ooops,
too many I thinks for 3 sentences, sorry for that) she still worked in
science related areas, but didn't do science actively any more.

Hey, I'm seeing other physicist pop up here - hi, nice to have some
more company than the other lurking physicists I already know hang out
here.

Sabine

| Sabine Dippel     | e-mail: s.dippel at fz-juelich.de                  |
| HLRZ              | phone : [++49] (2461) 61-2318                   |
| FZ Juelich        | fax   : [++49] (2461) 61-2430                   |
| 52425 Juelich     | WWW   : http://www.hlrz.kfa-juelich.de/~sabine/ |
| Germany           |                                                 |