S L Forsburg forsburg at
Sat Sep 27 12:24:24 EST 1997

From: biosci-help at (BIOSCI Administrator)

> Dear Participants in bionet.women-in-bio newsgroup,
> As you may have seen in an earlier posting, we will soon implement a
> new policy to control spam in unmoderated groups. The original message
> is copied directly below. Appended after it is a copy of my proposed
> new group charter. Since no charter currently exists for
> WOMENINBIOLOGY, I have formulated a nominal charter designed only to
> exclude commercial and pornographic materials from being posted. The
> proposed charter is appended at the end, after a copy of my original
> posting about the purposes of "moderation for spam."
> If you have any suggestions for change in the text or in the policy,
> please let me or the group know within the next week.
> Thanks,
> Serge Taylor
> Biosci Administrator
> Stanford University

I think this sounds fine, and I think we shold thank Serge and the
BioSci staff for setting this up. (I assume this means that Cassandra
and additional volunteers will not be needed for spam patrol?)

I note that a recent rather
insidious spam-trick steals the name of a legitimate participant
and posts under that name.  Will the filters catch that spam too?

One does wonder how much return the spammers get from annoying
SO many people.

It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg, PhD  forsburg at
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab