The Nobel Prize

taguebw at REMOVEwfu.edu taguebw at REMOVEwfu.edu
Mon Sep 29 11:46:36 EST 1997

In article <60i77j$e4 at mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU>, linda at mundook.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Linda
Stern) wrote:

> One interesting point is that Franklin's name isn't on the Nature
> paper.  I can't remember whether she was acknowledged (from memory, I
> think yes, for a photo).
>
> It seems to me that women are often not as agressive as men in making
> sure they get public credit for everything they contribute.  I wonder
> if this was a factor.
>

> Linda

Both Wilkins and Franklin are acknowledged in the Nature paper (Nature,
1953, 171:737 as follows:

"We have also been stimulated by a knowledge of the general nature of the
unpublished experimental results and ideas of Dr. M. H. F. Wilkins, Dr. R.
E. Franklin and their co-worker's at King's College London."

The "photo" was the X-ray diffraction data for the helix -- the data from
the photo were key in determining the double helical structure of DNA.....

My 2 electrons,

Brian

--
Remove "REMOVE" to reply