The Nobel Prize

Cynthia M. Galloway c-galloway at TAIU.EDU
Tue Sep 30 17:14:50 EST 1997

>>Like it or not Nobel prize winnners are considered by our society to be
>>the creme de la creme of scientists. It is they to whom those making
>>policy tend to turn when making decisions. Their publically aired views do
>>make a difference and it is certainly within reason for those of us
>>discussed in those views to be able to refute them.
>>
>>Linnea
>
>Refute them all you want, but just don't say they didn't "deserve" the
>Nobel prize, as someone here said, because of that.

I don't believe anyone said they shouldn't get the Nobel Prize.  I've found
that most idols have clay feet of one sort or another (although there are
some who don't).  I was just disappointed to see someone who made a great
contribution to Science act in such a way in front of an audience.  Just as
athletes are role models to some, scientists are role models to others.
What we do reflects on our profession.

Cyndy
Dr. Cynthia M. Galloway
Assoc. Professor of Biology