proper attire

JFRUGOLI at bio.tamu.edu JFRUGOLI at bio.tamu.edu
Thu Aug 13 01:13:11 EST 1998

Just to confound the question-what do some of you do about "dual days"-those days when you
have lab work in the morning, an important meeting with an industry member about outside
funding over lunch, teaching in the afternoon, and the dreaded faculty party at the
president's house in the early evening. Though I've never had this mess all at once, both my
husband and I have had at least two and sometimes 3 occur on the same day and we both fret a
bit over appropriate attire-though me much more than him (essentially his choices are
jeans/pants and tie/no tie-mine are much more involved). It is an important question-in the
yearly comments my husband receives from his chair pre-tenure, there are always comments
from older faculty about his dress-some of them feel that faculty should NEVER wear jeans,
lab work or not and women should ALWAYS wear a skirt.  I suspect this is "Old Southern", but
I'm curious if others have encountered this at other departments and universities-I never
encountered it in the Northeast.

Julia Frugoli
Texas A&M University
Department of Plant Pathology & Microbiology
Crop Biotechnology Center
MS# 2123
College Station, TX 77843
409-842-2595