proper attire

C. Boake cboake at utk.edu
Sat Aug 15 17:34:56 EST 1998

In article <6qv9jl$g1g$1 at newsreader.wustl.edu>, aacaudy at artsci.wustl.edu
(Amy Anne Caudy) wrote:

> Well,  I'm going to press the next part of proper attire...what do you
> suggest for grad school interviews?  I'm beginning to get my applications
> together, and it would be good to have a head start on finding clothes
> that fit my 5' 2" frame....
>
> - Amy Caudy
> Washington University

I've been running graduate admissions for several years for the Dept of
Ecol & Evol Biol. at Univ. of Tenn. Knoxville.  Interviewees should look
clean and tidy but I am more impressed by an applicant who hands me a c.v.
and who can talk intelligently about possible research areas, than by
fancy clothes.  We know that most undergraduates are on tight budgets; if
all you have is jeans then wear jeans but if you own slacks or a simple
skirt those would be fine.  Don't get all dolled up in a dress and heels;
keep jewelry simple.  Call a secretary or a graduate student in the dept
and ask what they would suggest.  Don't forget that it's a two-way street:
you are interviewing _them_.  Make sure that you would feel comfortable in
the department.

cheers,
Chris