Re. proper attire.

Janet Mertz mertz at oncology.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 18 00:01:43 EST 1998

	I am a senior faculty member in very informal Madison, WI where many
people don't even dress up fancily for theater concerts, shows, and plays.
I dress similarly to Susan (minus the jewelry) around the lab. I don't even
own a dress or skirt. I only dress up in fancier clothing when having
meetings with the M.D. types in the medical school since they almost always
wear nice clothing for seeing patients. When I interview prospective
students, I don't expect them to be wearing fancy clothing since I consider
such clothing to be incompatable with seriously working in a lab. Clean,
nice, "casual" wear clothing is fine unless you are concurrently
interviewing for medical school - e.g., M.D.-Ph.D. program. Good luck,

	Janet Mertz