Proper attire or the Fashion Police

Mary Ann Sesma msesma at zeus.bell.k12.ca.us
Wed Aug 19 08:51:40 EST 1998

Proper attire,  Fashion Police or another take on dress or a view from from
the lower end of the "pipeline"

Your commentaries are most telling,  for the most part I can agree . Dress
is apropriate to the venue.

I have very definite opinions having gone from classroom/lab to adm.  The
issue at hand is what is appropropriate for the lab,  presentations given
to other PI's (a la Susan and FASEB),  interviews for the med school (a la
Janet Mertz) and the good jacket (a la Rae Nishi).   Sunny  says it as well
as it can be said.  >I think attireis important and its not because I am in
my mid 40's. I
>think it sets a tone and it will remain true whether we like it or not
>that most books are judged by their covers!

Regardless of who  and what we are, we  must to look at the lower end of
the pipeline, specifically the poor minority high school student who has
made the cut into an excellent university or is trying for a major contest.
These kids do not have clothes in the sense that grad students have.   They
have do not have the least bit of perception of what a Harvard or Yale
(generic) interviewer will ask them or what they must look like.  So the
action that I have taken and it does work--is prepare, prepare, prepare.
Speech, diction, subject matter, social grace and appropriate dress.   In
one group of kids that went on a Spanish Government sponsored cruise to
celebrate Columbus voyages to the New World, the Spanish Counsulate
grilled, UCLA grilled them, and they stood up to it.  They spoke reasonable
California  Spanish and good  English, knew what they were talking about,
and they were dressed effectively.  Yes, the five boys wore the same sport
jacket, (donated by a faculty member), and the five girls were modestly
dressed with 2 inch heels and pearls (my contribution).  Everybody  had to
switch cloths between the interviews. Nine out of ten went on five week
fantastic cruise ending with a presentation to King Juan Carlos!  I see and
hear from these nine kids, who have now gone on to outstanding
universities. They repeat in various ways:  If you and our teachers had not
prepared us, we would not have made it.

We are educating not only in subject matter but we are role models.  This
role model aspect becomes intensive when you are teaching students whose
parents are not good role models, have NO! money or education and maybe
illiterate.    That is why so many public schools at various levels have
gone to uniforms and other social programs.

You will ultimately get these students or a similiar variety considering
the demographics.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann Sesma                          e -mail
1621 Sunnyhill Drive                    msesma at bell.k12.ca.us (preferred)
Monterey Park, CA 91754            sesma at aol.com
phone; (323)261-5860
fax:(323)261-8692