Did we have it all and lose it?

Rae Nishi nishir at OHSU.EDU
Mon Aug 24 23:37:35 EST 1998

OK.  I may be talking to ether, but I couldn't ignore this post.

I probably fit into the "older woman" category that Susan mentions
(shudder-- I NEVER think of my self that way).  So I am going to be 45
this year and I started my lab nearly 12 years ago and I got tenure 6
years ago (just barely under 40).  The first thing is it was NOT easier
back then!! I was a  post-doc for 6 years.  And the funding cut-offs
were much worse-- for NINDS, where I applied for funding, the cutoffs
were between the 12th and the 18th percentiles-- now they are close to
the 20th.  When I started my lab, I wrote 5 NIH grants before I got one
funded (1 went around for 3 cycles, then got funded-- the other for two
before I gave up because the first one got funded).  This took nearly 3
years...

Second--I have two daughters- one 7 and one 4; I got lucky-- my
biological clock did not quit on me when I neared my forties. I would
never say that it is ever easy having kids and being an academic
scientist. Don't fool yourselves-- it's not easy-- BUT IT's NOT
IMPOSSIBLE.  It takes alot of planning and a hell of a lot of
cooperation from your spouse.

Third-- There are trade-offs.  I certainly don't do "high-powered
science"-- I will never be a Hughes fellow, and I certainly don't
publish every other week in Nature, Science, or Cell. On the other
hand, I think my work is reasonably well known and there is some
respect out there for what we've done. I feel good about it.  I have
also pretty consistently been able to obtain funding and I find science
is alot of fun.  BK (before kids), I worked every weekend and many
evenings-- now I don't because I want to spend the time with my kids.
I have been fortunate to have some great, hardworking and nice people
in my lab.  I cannot do what I do without alot of hands to help get the
work done and a VERY understanding spouse.  I guess it all depends on
what you call "high-powered".

Bottom line:  we have not gone backwards.  On the other hand, I don't
think we've gone forwards (maybe just an incremental bit, because there
is alot more awareness these days of the necessity for child care-
daycare and after school care.)  Maybe we are mostly marching in place.

Rae

Rae Nishi, PhD
Professor
Dept. Cell & Developmental Biology