Re. Did we have it all? the academic question

S L Forsburg nospamforsburg at salk.edu
Mon Aug 24 23:37:33 EST 1998

Karen Lona Allendoerfer (ravena at cco.caltech.edu) had a lot of good comments,
but let me just to reply to this one:

> To close, I'd also like to point out that maybe there is a way in
> which things are better today than they used to be. Your post focusses on
> academia. But since academia is no longer a viable choice for everyone,
> alternate careers are going to be pursued by many women scientists. At
> least some companies are subject to things like the family and medical
> leave act, and have parental leave, on-site daycare (Genentech and Amgen
> have centers, for example), and other family-friendly policies. And I
> think that both women and men benefit from these things.

Granted, my post focused on academia, because that's where I am.  But also
I feel very strongly that women should not be forced to cede academia
as a viable career option just because it is moving at a glacial rate
in terms of managing its human resources.  After all, the first
connection that most young women have to active science careers is
the professors who teach them, and for all levels of students,
I think it is especially important they see women faculty.

I guess what I would really would like to see is a concerted effort
to drag academia (kicking and screaming no doubt) into a more
enlightened era for men and women.  Right now, the status quo is deeply
entrenched, and a good 10-20 years behind the business sector. And isn't
THAT a scary thought!  :-)

--
-susan
S L Forsburg, PhD  forsburg at salk.edu