Why do you want to be a professor?

S L Forsburg nospamforsburg at salk.edu
Wed Dec 16 09:38:48 EST 1998

EFS (FABRIJUNK at ukans.edu) wrote
>  (snip)...
> (I'm not a professor myself, but I hope to be one someday.)

I always ask students that I'm interviewing for grad school admission
where they want to be in 10 years.  To a one, they all say "I want to be
a professor".  I'm curious--what does "being a professor" mean to EFS
and other students and why do they want to be one?

Incidentally, that is not the "right" answer to my interview
question, unless it's true--I don't expect all students to  take
an academic path, which always seems to surprise them.  But
 I rather like finding out that they have
thought of other possibilities!

--
-susan
S L Forsburg, PhD  forsburg at salk.edu