Brouhaha in CA

Laurie Davison ldavison at pop.uky.edu
Wed Feb 4 13:50:40 EST 1998

Hello,
   I'm new to this group, but have some strong feelings regarding
"science education" in general and would like to respond to this. First
let me say that I am a researcher in the field of reproductive
endocrinology (horse hormones:)). I am fairly recently out of my graduate
program where not only was I a student, but I also had a teaching
assistantship, so I feel I've had my hands in many parts of the
educational process.
   I agree with Karen. There should be a balance here with the Nobel
winners working alongside the educators. I am excited that this group of
distinguishe scientists are willing to donate their time and expertise in
setting better standards for k-12 and by all means I believe they should
be involved! On the other hand, k-12 is composed of a group of kids all
undergoing different developmental stages and their ability to comprehend
and learn science is very dependant on these stages. The experts in this
field are the educators. I feel very strongly that both groups of experts
should come together in this process.
   As to "standards" education, I have mixed feelings. I do not believe
that the k-12 standards for science education are well met in most
schools. That is, I do not believe that most kids are learning enough
science, or enough "quality" science. Many schools do a very good job of
teaching science, but based on my experience teaching college freshmen, I
was *appalled* at the lack of knowledge most had in very basic biological
concepts. On this vein I feel that we need to set higher standards for
kids. On the other hand, it must be recognized that in the case of
science in particular (probably more so than other diciplines), the
ammount of education is partially dependant upon expensive equipment such
as microscopes, glassware, cadavers(frogs), etc for biology and expensive
reagents for chemistry. Also, the ammount of money each school gets may
be dependant upon the area that school is in (sociological perspective
here: the suburban white kids are given priority over rural or urban
black kids or kids from, say, appalachia (regardless of race). It is not
fair to expect the same from all kids accross the board in my mind, for
the same reasons that SAT scores may also be biased.
   I have more to say, but need to get to my lab!:) I welcome opinions...

Laurie Davison