Brouhaha in CA

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at bio.tamu.edu
Wed Feb 4 17:05:42 EST 1998

 From Science Jan 23 1998 vol 279 p 487

Public Agenda (non profit group in NY) poll of 2600 people.

Q:Does a high school diploma mean that a student has at least learned the basics?

A:              Y        N

Professors     22%      76%
Employers      35%      63%
Parents        62%      32%
Teachers       73%      26%
Students       77%      22%

This suggests that those who deal with the products of the educational system (professors
and employers) think high school grads are ill equipped, while those who have the most
imput into the system (parents, teachers, and students) think all is well.

This to me is the biggest argument for not leaving standards decisions soley in the hands
of professional educators.

In a similar vein, a while ago there was a thread discussing the consumer attitude of
students toward college and grading. I just read a review of a book "Generation X Goes to
College", and what I got from the review was that the book echoed most of the points made
in the newsgroup discussion. Chalk one up for women-in-bio.
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University