Brouhaha in CA

C.J. Fuller cjfuller at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 5 12:53:23 EST 1998

I saw the Science article too.  It's the Lake Woebegon phenomenon.
Everyone wants to believe their kids are above average and the problems
are in those "other" (inner-city, minority, underfunded) schools.  I've
had students from rural high schools who were far superior academically
than their classmates from the elite suburban public and private
schools.

I'm teaching a senior level nutrition course now and am seeing some real
doozies in terms of spelling and grammar on the assignments the students
hand in.  We'll see what happens when I drill them on where various
macronutrients are digested today.  (At the very least, I expect nutrition
majors to know something about the digestive system!)

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller
<mailto:cjfuller at erickson.uncg.edu>