Brouhaha in CA

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at bio.tamu.edu
Thu Feb 12 01:00:51 EST 1998

(SNIP)

>I agree with this.  When I taught at Winston-Salem State U., the best days
>were when the Head Start kids toured the lab.  One four-year-old wanted to
>know where the colors in autumn leaves come from.  I explained that the
>colors were always there but, the green covered them up so you couldn't see
>them until the green disappeared.  (I know it's more complex, I'm a botanist
>and he was 4). He thought about that for a minute, looked me in the eye, and
>said, "Okay, where did the green go?".  What happens between pre-school and
>college? (besides hormones).
>
>Cyndy

the answer: compulsory education.  The older my children get and the more I read and see
about education, the more I understand that there is no "right" way to learn,and that
people only learn when they want to-children and adults included.  "Want to" takes a
beating when children are told that the proper time to learn about leaves is in science
class between 1 and 2pm on Tuesday afternoon, no matter if they had questions on it last
week at 9AM.  And the proper way to learn is to look the answer up in a book and memorize
it.  While this is a bit of a gross oversimplification, is it any wonder that after 12
years of "learning" this way, spontaneity is lost?  I realize that the total lack of
structure individualized learning requires would overwhelm the public schools (but it is
one ofthe reasons the number of homeschooled children continues to rise with no slowdown
in sight) and I also realize that some children THRIVE on the structured
atmosphere-especially if structure is lacking at home.  But there must be a better wayto
educate people than the present system (which is actually only 100 years old-it's not the
way many of the "great minds" of humanity were educated)
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University