publication rate/maternity leave

E. Wijsman wijsman at u.washington.edu
Thu Jan 1 16:38:54 EST 1998

Get some advice from your NSF panel director.  It may not necessarily be a
bad thing to state that you took some leave time - it might not be
necessary to say for exactly what.  I have been a reviewer on NIH review
panels where some reviewers were commenting on the low productivity of the
PI on a proposal, where other reviewers knew that the person in question
had taken some maternity leave, and stated so.  That essentially took care
of the criticism since most reviewers look for a rate of publication over
time that one would expect publications, which excludes time on leave.

Having one or more influential scientist stating in front of 15-20 other
such scientists that one should allow for maternity time in evaluating the
publication record does wonders.  It is very hard then for the few
hard-nosed older scientists who either had stay-at-home wives if male, or
are childless females to state publically that a female scientist who has
had children is not serious. Therefore, I am not sure it is wise, in the
long run, to try to ignore the fact that you have kids because if nobody
knows, they certainly can't factor the time off into evaluation of your
publication record.

Ellen M. Wijsman			EXPRESS MAIL ADDRESS ONLY:
Research Professor			1914 N 34th St., suite 209
Div. of Medical Genetics and		Seattle, WA   98103
Dept. Biostatistics 			(Note:  do not mention the
BOX 357720, University of Washington 	 Univ. of Washington, and
Seattle, WA   98195-7720		 USE THIS ADDRESS ONLY FOR
phone:  (206) 543-8987			 EXPRESS MAIL !!!)
fax:    (206) 616-1973			email:  wijsman at u.washington.edu