Are you feeling overworked?

Cynthia M. Galloway c-galloway at taiu.edu
Thu Jan 8 16:27:14 EST 1998

Dierdre Sholto-Douglas

>It's not the hours that drive me crazy, it's the interruptions.  Even
>after a decade of working at home, I still get people who believe that
>I have the liberty to simply drop everything any time I like and, if
>anything, it's the exact opposite.  One is required to have considerable
>self-discipline to be productive in an environment conducive to pro-
>crastinating.

Interruptions are what drive me crazy at work.  Students seem to feel that
if you're not in the classroom, you're not doing anything.  Scheduled office
hours mean nothing; if you're in the office you must not be busy.  The
general public seems to have a similar perception of how busy a college
professor is.  If we aren't in front of a class we must not be working so,
we get huge salaries ;) for only 12 hours of work if we're only in class for
12 hours (I know I'm getting off subject - oops).

It does seem to be odd, however, as Dierdre says, that if you're working
somewhere outside of the office (in my case, in the lab) that people don't
hesitate to interrupt.

Cyndy

Dr. Cynthia M. Galloway
Assoc. Professor of Biology