Just when you thought you were making progess...

C.J. Fuller cjfuller at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 12 14:43:26 EST 1998

In article <34B9653C.6648 at nospamsalk.edu>, S L Forsburg
<forsburg at nospamsalk.edu> wrote:

snipped for brevity
>This refers to a "workshop" last summer at Cornell.

>Gender Workshop at Cornell Misses  Mark
>
> A faculty workshop on gender issues sponsored by the Dean of
>Engineering at Cornell and aimed at improving the atmosphere for
> female engineers seems to have missed its goal completely. By a
> combination of what the dean calls oversights and errors, only male
>professors were invited to the "gender workshop." And, what angered
> some women even more was the focus of the meeting: how men could
>protect themselves from "incrimination" and "liability" in working with
>female professors and students. Fifteen, or about 7%, of the 205
>professors at the College of Engineering at Cornell are women.
>
> The draft agenda for the meeting said morning sessions would focus on
>"legal/liability aspects of teaching advising, and working with women
>students and faculty." During the afternoon, the men would talk about
>"dealing with emotional students," among other topics. "This treats
> women as some sort of problem that we should try to avoid, rather than
>as part of this campus and as equal partners," said Eva Tardos, a
>  professor of computer science and operations research. "This was an
> incredible unfortunate incident." said Tardos.
>( Further discussion appears in the July 11, 1997 issue of The
> Chronicle of Higher Education.)
><<<<<<<end quote<<<<<
>
>Unfortunate indeed!

Susan-That's my alma mater, alas.  A friend of mine is on the faculty in
EE, and I met one of the first women to get a degree in chemical
engineering at Cornell, in 1948.

Cornell has not had the best reputation regarding gender relations.  In
the early 80's there was the Cornell 7, women coaches and instructors in
the athletics dept who were getting very little in the way of salaries
compared to their male counterparts. It's also been very slow to work on
the "two-body problem", where they want to hire/keep female faculty, but
can't help the SO find a position.  (I guess they prefer male faculty with
stay-at-home spouses.)  Granted, Ithaca's not a hotbed of activity
jobwise, but the efforts made have been puny at best.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller
<mailto:cjfuller at erickson.uncg.edu>