marriage and name-changing

Karen Allendoerfer ka143 at columbia.edu
Tue Jan 13 09:27:28 EST 1998

In article <68uu8e$s9l$1 at Mars.mcs.net>, finch at MCS.COM (Deirdre
Sholto-Douglas) wrote:

snip

>I was born with a hyphenated surname and my entire adult life (on
>the American side of the Great Undrinkable, that is) I've been asked:
>
> "Is that your name plus your husband's name?"
> "No, it's my name."
> "I *know* it's your name, but which one is your husband's?"

	Since I married a German, although I did not change my name either
professionally or socially, I've also gotten this sort of thing, people
who think my name is his.  The two of us were sitting with a third
person on a plane, who it turned out was a molecular biologist M.D.
During the flight we talked about our work to one another and the
molecular biologist and I ended up exchanging names and email
addresses.  When he saw my surname, he jokingly said "Oh, I wonder where
you got that."  I told him I'd gotten it from my parents (who are 3rd
generation Americans).

Karen Allendoerfer