alienation at smaller schools

Dianna L. Bourke dlb17 at psu.edu
Fri Jan 23 12:49:08 EST 1998

Hello All,

I have agreed to write a short article for the American Society for Cell
Biology (ASCB) newsletter about scientists who are working at smaller 2 or
4 year institutions. I would like to discuss some of the following topics
for the article:

1. Feelings of alienation (if any) from other scientists. How do you feel
when you attend scientific meetings now. Are you treated the same as when
you were with your previous advisors?

2. Difficulties in doing research or having your research taken seriously

3. Difficulties in writing grants

4. Trying to do research in light of heavy teaching loads. 12+ contact hours

5. Trying to do research with only undergrads, no techs, no grad students,
no postdocs.

6. Trying to do research with very small amounts of money.

7. Has anyone ever asked you "When are you going to get a "REAL" job? or
variations on the theme.

Please share this with male faculty at your institution as this article is
not only about women scientists.

I would love to hear some responses soon. If you prefer to post directly to
me please respond to dlb17 at psu.edu, but I would like to see this as thread
on the list!

Thanks
Dianna Bourke