Point for discussion

Rae Nishi nishir at ohsu.EDU
Fri Jun 5 08:47:08 EST 1998

In article <6l1bqc$t7s$1 at joe.rice.edu>
alfrey at rice.edu (Karen D. Alfrey) writes:

> My big question (as a PhD candidate starting to consider my
> career options) is, do women need to develop reputations for
> being "bitchy" in order to get ahead in academia?

I think that "bitchy" is in the mind of the beholder.  It is important
for women to be able to speak up when necessary in order to let their
needs be known.  It is also helpful to mark your presence by asking
critical questions and showing that you are participating and thinking
about what is going on (this applies to seminars, courses, intereviews,
and committee meetings).  You don't have to be verbose or rude-- just
to-the-point, logical, but vocal.  If you are too "quiet" (ie, never
ask questions or seem to participate), then some may mistake your good
intentions for stupidity or apathy.  I believe it is easier for some
people to develop this opinion about passive women than men.  Some men
may interpret assertive behavior as "bitchy".

reply to nishir at ohsu.edu
Rae Nishi, PhD
Professor
Dept. Cell & Developmental Biology