If you could do it all over again......

Janet Hart janet.hart at medecine.unige.ch
Fri Jun 19 14:29:04 EST 1998

Chris, Julia and all,

I can't tell you how valuable and encouraging this discussion is for me
(and I am sure for many others). I have a Masters in mol.bio., after
which I worked for 4 years in biotech. Now at 30, I am half-way through
a microbiology PhD in a foreign country (Switzerland) and my very
special, supportive husband and I want kids.

While it scares me to think of having a baby during my PhD, it is
getting harder to wait. I turn into mush everytime I see a baby and I'm
obnoxiously overeducated to the point that all the risk factors for
pregnancy after 35 are psyching me out, not to mention the fact that I
don't want to be in a wheelchair for my kids' college graduations. I do
have excellent health benefits right now, which would be a great
advantage.

My career goals are to combine teaching and bioinformatics/consulting,
so I'm not as worried about losing bench time to kids...but I do want to
finish my PhD in a reasonable time frame! Baby + PhD.....any encouraging
experiences out there?

Thanks for the dialogue so far!
-Janet