chicken pox vaccine

Rae Nishi nishir at ohsu.EDU
Wed Jun 24 01:43:28 EST 1998

In article <358E6DA4.41C6 at jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu>
"Dr. Paula J. Schlax" <pjschlax at JHUVMS.HCF.JHU.EDU> writes:

> ANy opinions about the chicken pox vaccine (in response to Mary Ann's
> earlier post- 20 days of work gone is scary.)

I got both of my kids vaccinated as soon as possible after the vaccine
became available in the US.  I did not need 7-14 days of down time if
both came down sequentially with chicken pox.   I also wanted to spare
them the potential discomfort and complications from getting chicken
pox-- especially should they pick it up when they are older (I had it
when I was a teenager and I was totally miserable for 2 weeks).  The
vaccine has been used in other countries (eg., Japan) for many years.
Some say that it doesn't always protect against chicken pox, but if the
vaccinated child does contract the virus, the case is much milder.  Our
pediatrician (a woman about my age (mid-40's) highly recommended it.

reply to nishir at ohsu.edu
Rae Nishi, PhD
Professor
Dept. Cell & Developmental Biology