problems with posting

Bharathi Jagadeesh bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov
Thu Jun 25 01:01:58 EST 1998

Everyone:

First, something to note. There are posts that are visible in the bionet
web site archive of the posts
(http://www.bio.net/hypermail/WOMENINBIOLOGY/) that are not available in
my newreader at NIH. My own posts (is anyone else getting them?) fall in
this category for me, as well as Rae Nishi's posts. I don't know how to
fix this, but wish that something would get fixed (I'm going to work at
my end of the newsreader when I have time, but who knows when that'll
be)!

In my previous post, which got sent accidentally before I was finished,
I wrote:

> My career trajectory is more like Susan's ([Forsburg's]I also stepped
> through the high school, undergrad, grad, post-doc with no breaks or
> detours. I also look back and imagine things that I would have liked to
> have done, and sometimes feel that I lack perspective about the real
> world. My first job was in a research lab at a children's hospital, when
> I was 17 and fresh out of high school, and I've worked at research since
> then (15 years, since I'm 32). I love doing research, so this is good
> thing.

What I wanted to add is that the system definitely rewards single minded
trajectories.

It also doesn't look very kindly on breaks, detours.

Though I admire people who do many things, and believe strongly that it
builds perspective, I do not believe that the system, as it is currently
constituted recognizes that there's any value to not having been a
dedicated scientist every working minute your entire life, if your end
goal is an academic career at a major research university. This is not a
uplifiting comment to make, but is definitely my perception.

I do like hearing everyone's stories here on this list, though. It's
very nice to hear about different trajectories, and where people ended
up after pursuing them. Hearing the stories definitely adds to my
understanding of what different people who are interested in science do.