if you could do it all over again

Chris Odt chriso at dfrc.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 26 11:32:55 EST 1998

This 'problem' of having to take 20 days off for chicken pox?  I don't
look on that as a problem, I look on it as reality.  Kids get sick.  And
then you get sick.  And then your spouse or your other kid gets sick.  And
then its your parents turn..........  For example, I just took 4 days off
in 2 separate weeks because of my daughter's stomach flu.....she recovered
but then got it again.  Plus her dad took some time off too to stay home,
as did her teen-age sister. Plus I got it, and then her brother got it.

We have to assume something like this WILL happen to us that will
interrupt our work lives.  My partner took 3 months off while his mom was
dieing of cancer.
I took a week off when my roomate was killed in a bicycle accident, and
her family couldnt cope.  Last year my boss took about 3-4 weeks off while
his
mother battled cancer.  Thats life.........

"Chicken Pox Vaccines" are not the answer.  Flexible schedules and understanding
supervisors are.   And so are part time jobs.

Chris