best time, etc.

Judy Stone Judy at amida.zoo.duke.edu
Fri Jun 26 11:32:43 EST 1998

Actually I think that two are more than twice the work.  It used to be
that if one of us watched the kid, the other one could work.  Now, the one
who watches the kids is performing a heroic task.  It is hard taking care
of a sessile 6-month old and an active 3-year old at the same time,
although now that the youngest is 2 it is not so difficult.  Also, you
need to deal with their interactions, which takes lots of energy.  The
added expense is considerable, as is the added time necessary to get
everyone ready (and dropped off at two schools) in the morning.  I'm glad
we have two now but I am surprised that we didn't consider the possibility
of stopping at one a bit more seriously.  And I would never have a second
child for the benefit of the first one.  It has to be something that you
and your husband really want for yourselves.