Do women make the worst bosses?

Jan Henry jan.henry at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jun 30 23:40:45 EST 1998

My dad said something to me recently which rather shocked me: he said
"Never, NEVER work for a woman if you can help it". My first reaction was
as any reasonable feminist type would -- how can you make such a terrible
generalisation -- but I think he may actually be right!

There are some women in science who are as nice as they are intelligent and
hard-working, but in my experience (in getting now to the end of a PhD) a
great number of the women in charge are nasty, vindictive, spiteful and
seem to have chips on their shoulders, and their behaviour seems
particularly directed towards other women! Men under their care seem to be
treated as golden boys whilst the women are treated like naughty, lazy,
sullen little girls.

These are the senior women who were supposed to be our role models in
science and in society, and yet they seem to want us relative youngsters to
fail whilst they sneer (perhaps they are resentful because they had it
harder, but that seems to be a pretty low excuse!). It was said that
Rosalind Franklin was fairly difficult to work with too, but surely we have
moved on since THEN!?

Jan
Jan Henry
Cardiovascular Genetics Centre