help - was Where is Everyone?

linden higgins linden at
Wed May 13 23:45:25 EST 1998

>There has been no postings to this group for several days, and
>my newsreader doesn't even have any old postings to "unread."
>Does this group still exist?
Yes, but recall it is, for many if not most of us, finals week(s).

But, I've found myself in a difficult situation, so I'll add a note to see
if some helpful suggestions can be found.  I'm going to not use names, to
avoid aggrevating my situation.

This spring, my husband was offered a job as "the scientist" at a law
school in New England - teaching science to lawyers, what a unique idea!  I
am currently an adjunct at U. Texas, where he had a tenured position.

We went up a few weeks ago, and I visited the two institutions where there
was the greatest likelyhood of my finding accomadations for ongoing
projects (and the grant I have, andthe one I need to write).  At one place,
the reception was very cool, but at the other, it was very warm.  At both,
the problem was space, but the in-coming chair at the latter said he
thought that there was unused space that I might be able to use.  Bench
space was a problem, but I insisted that I use wet-bench space rarely
(maybe 6-8 weeks a year) and mostly would just need space for rearing my
animals and access to hoods and scintillation counters.

During a follow-up conversation after we returned to Texas, the in-coming
chair said that he would not persue the issue further until it was certain
we were moving.  As indications were coming that the UT administration
would not make a counter-offer, my husband went ahead and accepted the
offer at the law school.

Yesterday, I received e-mail from the in-coming chair that the faculty had
voted to not allow me to be associated with the department.

I'm trying to be angry rather than hurt - I have telephoned another member
of the faculty with whom I had a good meeting, I have telephoned someone
who works about 4 hr away from the law school who might be able to
accomodate my research in his laboratory (not hopeful), and I am planning
to call the in-coming chair back and tell him that I really don't need an
office, and the spiders can live in almost any room because I can use
"grow-lights" and humidifiers, but I really need something because I am NOT
ready to give up my research.

Horrors, I never thought I'd be faced with the options of family OR
research, andit really hurts.

Any thoughts?????

Linden Higgins

Linden Higgins
Department of Zoology
University of Texas
Austin, TX  78712

telephone:  (512) 471-6905  FAX (512) 471-9651

linden at