Group work...

Paula J. Schlax pschlax at bates.edu
Wed Nov 4 11:46:01 EST 1998

I was trying to find a few web pages of minority scientist biographical
information.  I wondered if anyone had some favorites that they could
email me. I found a few, but not much information (what they worked on,
why they were picked...) was available.

The newsgroup has been pretty slow lately, and I know that I have been
exceedingly busy- but I'd like to start a discussion. I am trying to
include group exercises in my intro Chem course, and I am finding that
the students take a lot longer to perform and actually are doing worse
in groups than they do as individuals.  It seems to be defeating the
purpose of the group exercise-
I was trying to get the students to think about more open ended problems
or determine trends that hadn't been explicitly explained, but they seem
to blow it off in the groups....

Any ideas? It is backwards from what I expected. (I have groups of 4-5
do you think that is too big?)

PJS

--
"There's nothing the matter with his mind. He just
does things in his own way and in his own time."

Dr. Paula J. Schlax
pschlax at abacus.bates.edu
Department of Chemistry
Bates College