Group Work:

Mary Ann Sesma msesma at bell.k12.ca.us
Sat Nov 7 18:47:21 EST 1998

Paula:

There is a major source of bigraphical material on Susan Forsburg "Launch
Pad" http://pingu.salk.edu/~forsburg/bio.html It covers a wide variety of
ethnicities.  If you go into SACNAS there are biographies of Native
Americans and Chicanos who have made major achievenents in science.  This
bio page is organized as a search engine  by science, gender etc.  Very
useful.

Group work:  4-5 is right, but you have to find the leaders who will spur
the individual groups along.
Make the group responsible for group assignments.   I have  found the
following technique useful:
it may work for you.   The kids are not pushing themselves, and they do not
know how to develop problems for themselves.  What I do and did was to set
up a situation, and demonstrate the methodology involved and the questions
that I would have to answer inorder to resolve the situation(problem).  I
spent a lot of time, put it paid off.  Then they were off and running.
Some of those problems(situtations) were down right ludicrous but it served
to make the point.

Mary Ann Sesma

Mary Ann Sesma                          e -mail
1621 Sunnyhill Drive                    msesma at bell.k12.ca.us (preferred)
Monterey Park, CA 91754            sesma at aol.com
phone; (323)261-5860
fax:(323)261-8692

Age is not a concern for humans: it is a concern for wine and cheese