statement of teaching philosophy

Roxanne H. Fisher rfisher at facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed Nov 11 10:01:56 EST 1998

Dear Julia:

I'm writing my teaching philosophy staement now, too.  If I were a
competitive jerk (like some people I've had to work with during my
postdoc) I wouldn't tell you anything because we're probably applying to
some of the same jobs. Since I'm not a jerk, I have a couple sources of
info for you!

One source that's been helpful to me is the Council  on Undergraduate
reserach Quarterly.  The June 1998 issue has a whole seciton on primarily
undergraduate institution jobs and how to write the teaching and research
statements needed for applications. The Council on Undergradaute Research
has a webpage at  www.cur.org.  I've joined the CUR and they sent me this
issue as a sample when I asked about joining so you may not have to join
to get it. The other source I've used a lot is "How to Get a Teaching Job
at a Primarily Undergradaute Institution" by Malcolm Campbell.  It's
posted (or was) at the American Society for Cell BIology homepage.  I
don't have the URL but I did see it listed as one of the most frequently
accessed sites on a list at www.PhD.org.  That site also looked
interesting but I haven't ahd time to dig around in it.

My teaching philosphy starts out wtih the statement that the reason I went
to grad school is to teach at a PUI, then I talk about my teaching
experince and then some philosphy.I had a really difficult time writing it
until I set it up that way.

My question is how does a statement of teaching interest differ from a
philosophy statement?

My other suggestion is to show the statement to anyone who'll read it,
especially anyone who's been on a search committee.

Good Luck!

Roxanne Fisher