statement of teaching philosophy

Karen Lee ktlee+ at pitt.edu
Fri Nov 13 10:00:27 EST 1998

When I wrote my statement for the last job hunt, I explained my "evolution"
>From somebody primarily interested in research to somebody who felt teaching
and research were complimentary persuits. (This idea is really hot now if you
are looking for a job at a small to mid-size school.) I contrasted my
experience as an undergraduate at one of the "east coast elite liberals" to
what I saw happening to undergrads at "big urban U" where I went to grad
school. I had discovered in grad school, that I want to give people what I got
as an undergrad, access to faculty, undergrad research ops, etc and not what
you might imagine I saw in grad school.  I was honest about what I thought
undergraduate science education should be like.

Apparently this approach worked ok, since I have a job.

Karen

Karen T. Lee (ktlee+ at pitt.edu)
Biology
Pitt. Johnstown