Re. socialization

S L Forsburg nospamforsburg at salk.edu
Sat Nov 21 18:32:28 EST 1998

 Caroline J. Walker (walkerc at CLEMSON.EDU)

> Before you all yell at me, I know that we need to strike a balance
> and in the current climate being modest can be damaging to your career- but
> can't we work for an improved quality of life by aiming towards making some
> of these good qualities acceptable and sought after at work?

I hope none of us yells!  ;-)

So, here's MY question for Caroline:  if the people who get rewarded are
 the self-aggrandizing show-offs, and the people who do not blow their own
 horn do not get rewarded or survive well in the field, how do you think
we should manage to get those good qualities acceptable and sought after
at work?

I think it would be great to improve the civility of teh profession, but
it isn't clear to me how to do that, if the people in control do not
agree (and they do not).  As I frequently say, you have to get into the
system to effect change, and if you can't get in, ain't nothing going to
change.

--
-susan
S L Forsburg, PhD  forsburg at salk.edu