women in biology

Chris Odt chriso at dfrc.wisc.edu
Sat Nov 28 13:44:38 EST 1998

In article <365A44B4.9C04D1A9 at ucr.edu>, Karlos Santos-Coy
<santok02 at ucr.edu> wrote:

> I am a student at UC Riverside.  I am looking for information regarding
> gender inequity in biological fields.  I realize that more females
> receive B.S. degrees in biology, but do not go on to receive PhD. in the
> same field.  If you could please send me info on overcoming discrimation
> obstacles from women in the biological sciences I would appreciate it.

For me, I have had very little gender inequity in the various labs I
have worked in over the years....corporate america, state universitys
and the federal government.  The few instances that have occured, I went to
management, and if my issues were not resolved, I went farther up the
management ladder, until they were.  I am a female with a BS, but the
fact that I did not pursue my MS or PhD has nothing to do with inequity,
it has to do choosing a path that gave me the quality of life I wanted.
With a BS I have a good career with flexible work hours, good benefits
and salary, my own research projects, as well as a personal life that
is not invaded by my work life.  And I have many female friends in the
same scientific boat, so I am not alone.............Good Luck!  Chris