Who judges us?

Deborah A.Cook dcook at cau.edu
Mon Oct 19 13:11:50 EST 1998

We have talked about all manner of things about women in science and our
career issues on this list. I don't think we have ever discussed in
detail who really judges us?  After everything else, the publications,
the grants, the teaching, the collaborations, the work vs. family/other
important pursuits debate, is finished; who judges us on our
accomplishments?  I can't say that this just occurred to me, but the
composition of Promotion, Tenure & Evaluation Committees or other such
review boards may matter.  For example, at a University in my city (not
mine), the PT&E Committees are made up of exclusively Full Professors.
These committees are likely all male.  Women faculty have had a tough
time getting tenure or promoted here.  That should be no suprise to
anyone on this list. Any thoughts?

Deb Cook
Finally,
Associate Professor of Biological Sciences