Bioevolution/Adaptive Selection in Polygamous Procreation?

Hannah Dvorak-Carbone hdvorak at cns.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 20 00:04:40 EST 1998

In article <70eg3u$sk4 at sjx-ixn1.ix.netcom.com>, sunnyesq at ix.netcom.com says...

>I must say that this sounds like a very large load of CRAP!!!!

I think that's an overreaction.  Sperm competition has been well-documented in
various species, mostly birds (I believe), although I haven't seen
documentation in the scientific literature of sperm attacking each other. (I
did once see a show on the Discovery Channel or maybe the Learning Channel
claiming that human sperm can indeed attack each other, but that's not exactly
a peer-reviewed source.)  It doesn't seem likely that the regular partner's
sperm would necessarily be dominant or more successful.

The second statement seems less likely, but again, there is evidence in other
species for female choice (not at a conscious level, of course) between sperm
of various males.  See, for example, Birkhead, T.R., 1998, Cryptic female
choice: Criteria for establishing female sperm choice, Evolution
52(4):1212-1218.

- Hannah Dvorak-Carbone (out of my field - I'm a neurobiologist - but my
undergrad senior project was in behavioural ecology, which is why this rang a
bell for me)