Who judges us?

C. J. Fuller cjfuller at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 23 13:25:48 EST 1998

In article <slrn72vtbo.h01.hillary at access.netaxs.com>, hillary at hillary.net
(hillary gorman) wrote:

>On 22 Oct 1998 06:36:15 -0700,<harlequin at saeder-krupp.com> wrote:
>*I have noticed the same, at my university, only 3% of the professors are
>*female, i hope when i graduate i can change this.
>
>Wow. So far, in veterinary school at the U of Pennsylvania, some of my
>most memorable professors  have been: Dr Karin Sorenmo, Oncology; Dr
>Dottie Brown, Internal Medicine; Drs Patricia Sertich and Regina Turner,
>Theriogenology; Dr Cynthia Ward, Internal medicine/endocrinolgy; Dr
>Rebecca Hess, Internal Medicine/endocrinology; Dr. Olena Jacencko,
>Biochemistry... at LEAST half of my instructors are women.

Hillary-What are their ranks at Penn?  I know at Cornell Vet School (I did
my PhD in nutrition at Cornell and took a few vet med courses) it's still
a male preserve.  However, several of my former professors have retired
and it's possible that female junior faculty have been hired in their
places.

One of the things happening here at UNC Greensboro is that the tenure bar
keeps rising.  Those who got tenure 10 or 20 years ago did so without as
much scholarly stuff or teaching load as more recent hires, but THEY'RE
the ones doing the judging.  One woman was at first denied tenure in the
biology dept, but when her $100K+ NIH grant came through, she was
reconsidered and received it.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller