Who judges us?

Karen Lee ktlee+ at pitt.edu
Sat Oct 31 00:17:14 EST 1998

C. J. Fuller wrote:

> One of the things happening here at UNC Greensboro is that the tenure bar
> keeps rising.  Those who got tenure 10 or 20 years ago did so without as
> much scholarly stuff or teach... (SNIP)
>
> Cindy

Here at Pitt Johnstown, too.  Though the 12 contact hour teaching load has
apparently stayed stable (that is if you don't count the mandatory overloads
some of my peers are dealing with), there seems to be more pressure to do
research and publish now then when my peers were granted tenure.  I haven't
seen overt gender bias, but the Natural Sciences faculty is overwhelmingly
male and most have been at the university nearly 20 years.  This makes me a
rather rare bird: a 30-something woman in the tenure stream.  Sometimes I
can't help but wonder how much this combination of relative youth and gender
difference influences others' perceptions of my effectiveness.

Karen