Who judges us?

C. J. Fuller cjfuller at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 31 10:50:48 EST 1998

In article <3638A17B.E0F3E082 at pitt.edu>, Karen Lee <ktlee+ at pitt.edu> wrote:

>Here at Pitt Johnstown, too.  Though the 12 contact hour teaching load has
>apparently stayed stable (that is if you don't count the mandatory overloads
>some of my peers are dealing with), there seems to be more pressure to do
>research and publish now then when my peers were granted tenure.  I haven't
>seen overt gender bias, but the Natural Sciences faculty is overwhelmingly
>male and most have been at the university nearly 20 years.  This makes me a
>rather rare bird: a 30-something woman in the tenure stream.  Sometimes I
>can't help but wonder how much this combination of relative youth and gender
>difference influences others' perceptions of my effectiveness.
>
>Karen

Luckily, my colleagues have all come to UNCG in the last 10 years.  We're
all in the same age range, although our experience in post-PhD academia
ranges from >20 years to <2 (we've got a lot of people who went back to
grad school after being in the real world).  We have a 100% track record
for tenure in the last 5 years.  I worry more about the women in the other
science depts here.  I mentioned the woman in biology.  The chemistry dept
has one woman in it so far, and I wonder how she'll fare come tenure time.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller
<mailto:cjfuller at erickson.uncg.edu>