Who judges us?

C. J. Fuller cjfuller at mindspring.com
Sat Oct 31 10:50:48 EST 1998

In article <3638A17B.E0F3E082 at pitt.edu>, Karen Lee <ktlee+ at pitt.edu> wrote:

>Here at Pitt Johnstown, too.  Though the 12 contact hour teaching load has
>apparently stayed stable (that is if you don't count the mandatory overloads
>some of my peers are dealing with), there seems to be more pressure to do
>research and publish now then when my peers were granted tenure.  I haven't
>seen overt gender bias, but the Natural Sciences faculty is overwhelmingly
>male and most have been at the university nearly 20 years.  This makes me a
>rather rare bird: a 30-something woman in the tenure stream.  Sometimes I
>can't help but wonder how much this combination of relative youth and gender
>difference influences others' perceptions of my effectiveness.

Luckily, my colleagues have all come to UNCG in the last 10 years.  We're
all in the same age range, although our experience in post-PhD academia
ranges from >20 years to <2 (we've got a lot of people who went back to
grad school after being in the real world).  We have a 100% track record
for tenure in the last 5 years.  I worry more about the women in the other
science depts here.  I mentioned the woman in biology.  The chemistry dept
has one woman in it so far, and I wonder how she'll fare come tenure time.

C.J. Fuller
<mailto:cjfuller at erickson.uncg.edu>
<mailto:cjfuller at mindspring.com>