article on women in academia

Bharathi Jagadeesh bjag at
Wed Sep 2 08:42:58 EST 1998

I came across this article in the NYT paper:

Virginia Valian has written a book called "Why So Slow? The
Advancement of Women," published by the M.I.T. Press.

Exploring the Gender Gap and the Absence of

She argues that the biases against women are small (sometimes
miniscule), but consistent, and that as you move up the heirarchy, the
small biases have a multiplicative effect.

She cites a social psychology study in which people are asked to judge
the "leader" of a group of people sitting around a table. When the
groups are single sex, most chose the person sitting at the head of the
table as the leader. But when the group is mixed sex  (both men &
women),  and a woman is sitting at the head of the table,about half the
time, a man sitting elsewhere at the table is chosen as the leader. In
mixed sex groups where a man is siting at the head of the table, the man
is chosen as the leader.

Anyone know the study? Have a cite?

bjag at