Role models

S L Forsburg nospamforsburg at
Thu Aug 26 15:26:53 EST 1999

Patricia S. Bowne (pbowne at writes:

> I wonder, though, how many of our students ever see a scientist who
> isn't either trying to live up to the assumptions you describe
> or pretending to try to live up to them. We need new role models!

> There is always the NIH and Scripps scientist
> who was interviewed on the "Paris Fall Fashions" show last night, I
> suppose, but I missed her name.

I hate the term role models.  Maybe the fashion scientist is
comfortable being a "model", but just as the model houses
never look like the ones we live in, I always feel that the
word "models" presupposes that the model in question has got
it all figured out.  Whereas I get the distinct impression most
of us live in unmodel houses and are muddling rather than modelling

> Can anyone point me to some for my students to look at?

 How about looking around this newsgroup?  There are lots of
women here, at all stages of their careers, who
are living real (rather than model) lives and making things

It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg, PhD  forsburg at
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab
The Salk Institute, La Jolla CA