After the MIT report

S L Forsburg nospamforsburg at salk.edu
Sun Dec 5 15:26:19 EST 1999

Check out
http://chronicle.com/free/v46/i15/15a00101.htm
 From the Chronicle of higher Education, it describes what's happened
since the "MIT report" on subtle effects of gender discrimination in
academic science.

1)  Nancy Hopkins, who spearheaded the original investigation, is
reaping
the benefits of space and money

2) Women at other institutions are using the MIT report as a model to
 examine their own situation

3) "Since the institute began looking into gender discrimination four
 years ago, many female scientists here have seen their salaries climb
by as much as 10 per cent in one year, based on the institute's analysis
of what their pay should have been. The average faculty raise is around
4 per cent. Women have been asked to lead search committees and important
 academic panels, and their requests for additional lab space  have been
speedily granted. "

4) But there is still a cost.  A number of faculty, men and women,
 think that there never was a problem and this was
 all about nothing.  And Nancy Hopkins says "I think I'm going to pay a
huge price for this.... I fear that I will never be known as a great
scientist who did it on her  own. I'll be known for this."

This and other links on the Women in Biology Internet Launch Page (below)

--
-susan
S L Forsburg, PhD  forsburg at salk.edu
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab