Need your comments/feedback

Caroline Szymeczek-Seay css at med.unc.edu
Sat Jul 3 00:15:37 EST 1999

Hi Maria,
I'm going to have to give you vague info, but maybe someone else will be able to
fill in the gaps.  It seems to me that the American Association of University
Women has scholarships for women (i think specifically women in science)  who
are reentering the work force after an absence.  I do not know if this grant
still exists or if as a resident of Canada that you would be eligible.  But,
although I have very little job experience, the one thing that I believe has
made an impression on people from whom I was seeking a job was to have in my
hand a copy of the grant that I had just written.  Of course, it would certainly
be better to have received a grant, but at least by writing one you can show
initiative.  And it can help to focus you on what you want to do.  It also gives
your potential employer an idea of whether you have what she thinks you need to
succeed in her lab.  Anyway, maybe seeking out a grant such as the one mentioned
above would give you a little edge.  Writing my first grant gave me kind of
confidence boost, as well.  Good luck!

Caroline