Sunday Morning, CBS

Linnea Ista lkista at unm.edu
Fri Mar 19 00:05:41 EST 1999

> 2) do you have any insights you'd like to share (on or off the newsgroup) as
> to why/when you became interested in science?

This one is easy. When I was a little girl, my dad was a chemistry lab
tech and my mom was a medical lab tech. They got to play with REALLY cool
toys and both came up with nifty little experiments for us to do at home.
When the lab got new high tech microscopes, dad picked up an old one for
VERY cheap and mom would show us the wonderful world at 400X.

We spent very many Sundays at the Science Museum of Minnesota, even before
they built the cool new one. We always had National Geographic around the
house.

This was not fool-proof to generate technogeek kids, however. My brother
is most definitely NOT into science. But I have a feeling this was a
phobia that was kind of expected of him. I was good at math and he
struggled and the message was "Well, Linnea is more like your dad, and you
are more like me. I hated math." This from mom, who can do calculations in
her head. I think her problem was that it was boring and tedious to
actually go through the steps that her brain did automatically.

Talk to you later!
Linnea