Girls liking Science

Signorelli denise at summerlin.net
Sun Mar 21 13:30:26 EST 1999

Dear Susan,
  I see your comments here all the time and I think you do a great job
encouraging the women in science in this forum.  I also am astounded at the
terrific work you do on  your homepage.  You must be a terrific role model.
  But, more to the point, my dad was a science teacher at a community
college but never encouraged us in science.  He did force feed us some
ecology and botany on family vacations.  Therefore, my family can't be the
reason I'm a scientist.
  I have often tried to figure out what drove me to pursue science and I
think the message string hit a live chord with me.  As an undergraduate, I
did a 2 semester unpaid research assistantship with a young professor.  He
personally encouraged me to continue my education in science and to look for
a job in research.  Before that, most of my science teachers STUNK.  I mean,
I guess they were good coaches .... but their science teaching was a below
par.  Secondly,  I've never been a follower and I think science gave me an
outlet for the ultimate in my personality, to forge the lesser traveled path
as a woman in science.  I know from speaking to a close chemist friend that
the two of us chose the path to science because it was the most difficult
thing we could think of.  Is there a way to select for such a masochist
population?  :)

Denise Signorelli