More on girls leaving science

S L Forsburg nospamforsburg at
Sun Mar 21 13:30:28 EST 1999

This essay ( discusses
the leaking pipeline ca. 1997.  It includes an annotated bibliography.
Particularly relevant is the following excerpt:

> Younger women frequently point to boredom, lack of interest, or a
> perceived lack of ability as primary reasons for
> choosing non-science careers. Women who are further
> along in their pursuit of SEM careers
> generally cite as their reasons for leaving isolation,
> frustration, and a perceived or actual
> inability to advance in the SEM ranks.
> Authorities frequently point to the lack of
> available mentors and role models as the crucial
> factor in the dissatisfaction of women of all
> ages with SEM careers. Rather than receive
> positive images of women in SEM fields, girls
> are often discouraged from pursuing these
>  fields even in today's classrooms and
> families. Thirty-four percent of high school aged girls
>  reported being advised by a faculty member not
> to take senior math, as compared to 26
>   percent of boys. The comparable statistics for
> a senior science course were 32 percent versus
> 26 percent......

Links to this essay and other relevant sites on the 'net are
on the Women In BIology Launch Page at

Remember that the launch page is updated frequently.  If you find
sites that might be appropriate additions, let me know!

It's an anti-spam.  Use the one below.
S L Forsburg, PhD  forsburg at
Molecular Biology and Virology Lab
The Salk Institute, La Jolla CA