manuscript rejection rates

Ann Magnuson magnuson at indigo.ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 28 10:30:24 EST 1999

Hi all,

Although I don't want to advocate scientific sloppiness, I can't help
but thinking that women should learn from this "male" behavior. We tend
to take criticism a bit too seriously, and we try to cover up every tiny
little dark spot, when it might not be worth the time and effort. Not
all studies benefit from further experiments, but a study of lesser
importance may still contain some observations of interest to the field.

 From a different angle, can it be that women always take referee reports
at face value instead of trying to read between the lines?
It may be a good idea to analyze the tone in the referee report. Has the
referee understood the reason why this study should be published at all?
Is he/she perhaps a serious competitor trying to delay publication?? I'm
only a postdoc, but from what I have understood, the most common reason
for rejection is negative peer-reviewing. If it is obvious that this is
the case, then the best solution is simply to turn to a different forum
where your competitors don't go down on you so heavily. The message is:
Stop trying to break down the wall by banging your head against it...

FWIW,
Ann Magnuson