Long hours

phd2b at canoemail.com phd2b at canoemail.com
Tue Apr 4 12:18:58 EST 2000

Ann Magnuson <magnuson at cem.msu.edu> wrote:
: I think we're forgetting that there are many male scientists who aren't
: prepared to kill for their career, and who *do* value their families and the
: rest of their lives. Those men aren't always as successful as the barking,
: bloodthirsty hounds that you have been using as examples, but perhaps you're
: biased about who you want to compare yourself to... As a contrast to what
: the rest of you have said, most women my age that *I* know, who are heading
: for a scientific career, are actually some real geeks and goofballs who
: don't care too much about getting a life (they're my friends and I think
: they know that I don't mean to hurt their feelings, and I'm a geek
: myself).  All the other (smart) girls who got a Ph.D. didn't even
: consider a career in academia.

OK, who says that the people who balance their career and family are not
successful? In my opinion, success IS leading a balanced life, which is
not easy to achieve in a scientific career. For some reason, science seems
to value this workaholic mentality. I think it is time we started
realizing that this isn't success, and those people who "have no life" are
sick, not the other way around. If someone said that the key to my success
are this little pills that keep me going when I really need to stop, would
you still think they are successful?

In my opinion, having a balanced life that includes time for career,
family and self is the ultimate goal...not how many papers I have
published in Science or how big my lab is or how much grant money I have
or "I'm so dedicated, I forgot my kid's birthday".

I would be interested in how other people on this group would define
"success". I'm sure we all want to be successful, but how do you know if
you are or not?

Kelly.