Long hours, families

Paula Jean Schlax pschlax at abacus.bates.edu
Fri Apr 21 15:32:40 EST 2000

I recieved an email that interpreted this post as one in which "families
trump everything else" and that I must believe that people with families
need to be given special priorities over people without.  I do not
believe that, and here are some parts of my response to the email:

A few things: Whether someone decides to have children is a very
important
and personal decision- and I respect all choices. The thread started
(way
back when) when a person asked if it is possible to have children and an

academic career. I think it is, and I think that it is difficult. I also

think that it is difficult to be a marathon runner and have an academic
career, or to play jazz occassionally and have an academic career, but I

know people who do all of those things and more. I respect the people
who
make the choices to be more well rounded than someone who lives, eats,
breaths etc. work.

Do I think that the choice to have kids trumps the other priorities?
Certainly not.  Do I think it is different? Yes- When I ran, before I
had
kids, I could do it whenever I wanted.  I could choose to work 10 til 9
instead of 8 to 5:30, or to work on weekends and take occasional 3 day
weekends, or to work 80-90 hours a week before a grant was due.  I can't
do
any of those things anymore- but I could when I ran, and when I made
hiking
a priority.  My schedule is less flexible because of choices I made.

Should my choice have prioritiy over yours?, No. If Joe always gets the
prime equipment because he has to leave at 5, that is wrong. No
question. If
Jim has a regular session with the racquetball courts at 8 am, then
group
meetings shouldn't be scheduled for 8. In a large group, sometimes
people
have to give- how those decisions are made is not always fair.

I don't think having kids should be a higher priority than other things,
but
it is different than a lot of things. I can't schedule when daycare
ends, or
when my kids get sick- but I can schedule when there check-ups are, and
make
arrangements for vacation days.

I hope people will respond to the newsgroup. Maybe I am the only one
with youngsters (my oldest is in
Kidnergarten), but I doubt it. It's hard to get everything done, and to
me, it seems harder than before I had children.
I think that making the daily choices is hard, but I think that if
someone wants more in their life than work it can be done.

I know mentors who do give priority for equipment with people with kids
or other activities, I also know mentors who give priority to the people
who have the best preliminary data, or who work the longest hours, or
who just happen to be the favorites.  I don't know how to make this
fair, but signup sheets worked almost everywhere I went when equipment
was a limiting resource- and we followed the first come first serve
policy- exceptions needed to ask everyone before them on the list. It
mostly worked.