Yikes.... PhD advice needed

Kristine E Gouveia Kristine.Gouveia at bms.com
Thu Aug 3 10:32:48 EST 2000

I obtained my BS in Biology in 1992 right after the big boom in biotech
ended.  I
went to work for a gov't funded laboratory making $17,000/yr.  And like you
I became very bored with being a technician.  I didn't feel like I was using
my brain at all.  I spoke with my boss at the time and he recommended going
to graduate school for a PhD.  That is what I did, but 3 1/2 years into it I
decided to drop out because of lack of jobs for PhD and knowing a lot of
PhDs in their 7-8th year as a post-doc.  I was able to obtain a job in a
pharmaceutical company.  It has been the best decision that I have made.  I
currently run two projects on my own, plus contribute to other projects
going on in the department.  I use my brain every day.  You may want to look
into this.  The salary and benefits are very good and there are lots of jobs
for BS and MS people, especially those with experience.
Sincerely,
Kristine Gouveia